Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
An Explanation of Search Engine Optimization for the Non-Techie
Revised November 15, 2017
Originally Published May 21, 2008
The goal of this article is to explain in non-technical terms Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and why it is important to the online success of a company's website.
In addition, this article will summarize some basic principles to adhere when it comes to a website's SEO.
A Basic Understanding of SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is rather basic at its core:
Make sure a website is setup to receive top listing in search results, such as on Google.
When a potential customer performs a search on Google, the goal is to have the site come up as close to the top of the search results as possible; most preferably as the first place result, but at the least within the first page of results.
The closer to the top ten search results a website receives, the better odds that site will have receiving relevant traffic to the website.
There's a misconception by many business owners, that SEO is complex, requires special assistance, and should cost a lot of money.
The truth is SEO is simple, and most people can do most of it without extraordinarily expensive assistance; it just takes time.
The following are some tenants to basic SEO:
- Clean & Responsive Code:
When building the initial website, a web development firm should create clean website code; following the basic principles of good programming. Website coding should be tidy, and as concise as possible.
In addition, as of 2015, Google required websites to be mobile-friendly. Google is going one step further in 2018 with requirements to be fully responsive for best practice, in addition to clean code.
- Descriptive Content:
Providing Custom Tools To Help Promote & Grow Your Business.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE >>
Google Recommends A Responsive Site by 2018
Is Your Website Responsive, Or Will You Lose 60% of Your Search Traffic? Learn More!
Complete Digital Web Management Package
We Handle Your Website, Digital Media & Support So You Don't Have To!
Affordable Investment Starting Under $7/Day!
Managing a business website and all its related digital medias is an expense that most all companies face; it's the cost of doing business in today's world. Our Complete Business Digital Web Management Packages make the headache of handling your website, digital medias, regular updates, support, email, and everything website related easy because we handle it for you!
CLICK HERE NOW TO LEARN MORE!
Call (503) 850-7000 OR (866) 4-neturf
Top 10 Organic Ways To Generate New Customers
- Make sure you know your target market, demographics, including the keywords and phrases they use to search.
- Make sure your brand is everywhere your target market is (including all social media platforms they're on - this is KEY to online word-of-mouth)
- Make sure your website is branded and the central hub of all your online endeavors.
- Make sure your website is optimized (SEO) as well as your social medias (SMO).
- Make sure all landing pages of your site are optimized to convert customers to a sale (LPO).
- Provide free insights and information as an expert on your website, and include links directly to these articles in your social medias posts.
- Provide case studies to show value you've created for other clients, and how you've solved their dilemmas.
- Provide various methods of disseminating information including: infographics, quick bullet points, as well as in-depth information (for those wanting to research deeper--this also improves SEO naturally).
- Provide resources to help educate consumers on your product, industry, and news.
- Constantly analyze both your site, and the competition to look for areas of improvement, trends, etc.
Featured Case Study
Flooring America Of Oregon Case Study
Flooring America Of Oregon is an Oregon City, OR-based flooring company providing quality carpet, vinyl, hardwoods, laminate, tile and more for commercial and residential needs throughout the Portland-Metro area.
Flooring America Of Oregon required a secure, yet professional website solution to showcase their flooring products and installation services; as well they desired on-going update assistance, as needed.
With this in mind, we built Flooring America Of Oregon's website using our clean code, SEO-Friendly, Responsive & Mobile-Friendly Content Management System (CMS) website solution.
You can learn more by clicking below:
Goodies & Freebies Featured Solution
AVG Anti-Virus - Free Virus Protection Software
Antivirus and antispyware protection for Windows available to download for free. NEW! LinkScanner® Active Surf-Shield checks web pages for threats at the only time that matters - when you're about to click that link. Learn More.
Newsletter Archive Topics
- Design & Development
- General Information
- Marketing, General
- Online Security
- Organic / Natural SEO
- Search Engine Marketing
- Website Conversion
- Website Technologies
Newsletter Article Ideas?
We want to hear about it! Our newsletter is geared towards you so email your article ideas or questions to email@example.com.
Newsletter Subscription Status
1. A place, or territory, on the internet; a developed piece of internet real estate; a website application. 2. An interactive advertising business solutions company.