Web & Ad Design Color Schemes
How The Psychology of Color Affects Web & Marketing Audiences
Revised December 13, 2017
Originally Published August 20, 2008
Color choice is an important factor when it comes to brand development or marketing collateral. Choosing a color scheme can greatly affect the success or failure of an advertising campaign.
When choosing a color scheme for a website, brand, marketing collateral or campaigns, there are two important factors to keep in mind:
- How color choices affect the user's experience
- How color affects the overall psychology of a campaign
Color Choice & User Experience
- Bright colors can be effective when used sparingly.
- Choosing to use a bright color over a large or expansive space can cause irritation to the viewer.
Imagine a web page or advertisement in which the background is a pure, bright yellow.
The bright yellow would be extremely distracting and annoying to the eye, making it difficult to read important text on the campaign advertisement.
- Bright colors should rarely be used next to each other in large doses as the effects can be disastrous.
- If using more than one bright color, choose the colors carefully and make sure to use complimentary colors.
- Often bright colors are best when separated and used as small accents rather than covering large expansive areas.
- Choosing background colors to cover large areas should be done carefully.
- Often subtle, subdued colors are best for large areas such as web page backgrounds, posters, etc.
- The goal of the background is to make the text and content of the page easy to read without distraction.
- The background color should make the font of the page easy to read and understand without having to strain one's eyes to read.
- A background color should never be distracting, but instead transparent and complimentary.
Color & Psychology
Colors are shown to cause certain psychological reactions and emotions when viewed by people.
In general, the following are some emotions that each of the following colors are known to invoke in individuals of western civilization:
Providing Custom Tools To Help Promote & Grow Your Business.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE >>
Google Recommends A Responsive Site by 2018
Is Your Website Responsive, Or Will You Lose 60% of Your Search Traffic? Learn More!
Complete Digital Web Management Package
We Handle Your Website, Digital Media & Support So You Don't Have To!
Affordable Investment Starting At $3.30/Day!
Managing a business website and all its related digital medias is an expense that most all companies face; it's the cost of doing business in today's world. Our Complete Business Digital Web Management Packages make the headache of handling your website, digital medias, regular updates, support, email, and everything website related easy because we handle it for you!
CLICK HERE NOW TO LEARN MORE!
Call (503) 850-7000 OR (866) 4-neturf
Do You Have An Emergency Backup Plan?
In today’s world, while there are numerous steps one can take to protect themselves online; there are only so many steps one can take to protect the company and it’s data. Even the “safest” sites can still be infiltrated or become impaired due to failure.
With so much business done online susceptible to hackers, or just plain equipment malfunction, or failure; it’s more essential than ever to make sure every business has an emergency backup plan in place.
- Do you have a plan in place if someone’s email downloads malware or a virus?
- Are these steps readily noted so employees don’t spread the virus to other employees, or worse yet, a client?
- What if your company network were hacked and held for ransom?
- Do you have steps and protocol in place?
Company Online Assets (website, social medias, etc):
- How would you handle catastrophic failure of online assets?
- Do you have multiple backups of data?
- Are backups stored securely away from the asset being protected?
These are just a few of the scenarios that every business must address and prepare for. Hope for the best with proper security, but plan and prepare for the worst potential failure of company assets, and create a plan through the scenario.
Featured Case Study
CNR Search Case Study
CNR Search is an Orange County, California-based executive search firm covering a wide range of industries on a global basis, including Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, Public Relations, Marketing, Advertising, Regulatory Affairs, Media Relations, and Digital/Social Media.
CNR Search required brand logo development, and a secure, yet professional website solution to showcase their commercial kitchen remodeling and installation services; as well they desired on-going update assistance, as needed.
With this in mind, we built CNR Search's website using our clean code, SEO-Friendly, Responsive & Mobile-Friendly Content Management System (CMS) website solution.
Graphic Design & Logo Creation Services
CNR Search required assistance with developing their brand and company logo using our graphic and design services.
You can learn more by clicking below:
Goodies & Freebies Featured Solution
AVG Anti-Virus - Free Virus Protection Software
Antivirus and antispyware protection for Windows available to download for free. NEW! LinkScanner® Active Surf-Shield checks web pages for threats at the only time that matters - when you're about to click that link. Learn More.
Newsletter Archive Topics
- Design & Development
- General Information
- Marketing, General
- Online Security
- Organic / Natural SEO
- Search Engine Marketing
- Website Conversion
- Website Technologies
Newsletter Article Ideas?
We want to hear about it! Our newsletter is geared towards you so email your article ideas or questions to email@example.com.
Newsletter Subscription Status
1. A place, or territory, on the internet; a developed piece of internet real estate; a website application. 2. An interactive advertising business solutions company.