Marketing & Promotion for Newbies
Tips on the Getting A Website or Ad Campaign Noticed
Revised December 21, 2016
Originally Published August 2002
Getting traffic to a new website or advertising campaign can be tough, especially with a great deal of competition in the market.
However, there are several ways (both paid and unpaid) to promote a new website or ad campaign to get immediate traffic, and new potential sales:
- Social Media: Social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Alignable and Google+ are excellent ways of getting new traffic. Social media is effectively a form of Word of Mouth advertising. By posting and marketing in social medias about a new site, one can get people to visit and begin talking about a new website, product or service to their friends immediately. Because social media allows for instant sharing, news of a website can "go viral", and within minutes have thousands of new visitors and potential buyers.
- Press Release: Sending out a press release is a great way to let the media know about a new website and what is different about the website versus the other sites that are out there. One might be surprised at some of the media that will pick up on a story and broadcast to the world the news about a new website and offerings.
- Search Engines (Organic / Natural): Submitting to search engines is probably one of the most important means of getting a new website out there, yet often one of the most overlooked and under utilized means. When submitting to search engines it is important to make sure the website is optimized the best it can be for natural search engine ranking.
- Search Engines (Paid): For immediate, "I need it now" traffic, look at utilizing paid advertising such as AdWords. Paid search promotion, such as AdWords on Google for example, are the ads that one sees when searching Google that often appear at the very top of search results, on the side bar, and sometimes at the bottom of search pages. Paid search ads are not always the best method for long term results, but can help a new site gain targeted traffic until a website is fully indexed by search engines for natural ranking.
- Directories: Not to be confused with search engines, directories index and catalog sites based on content and industry. Getting listed with the right directory in an industry can greatly increase the flow of traffic to a website. As well, getting a website listed in the proper directory can greatly help a website and its search engine ranking in search results. Always AVOID irrelevant directories and link farms; these site are just full of spam links and have no SEO value, and can potentially hurt a website's promotional efforts.
- Link Trades: Getting to know other websites in related and complimentary industries can be of great importance to generating new traffic to a website. As long as the website is not a competitor, contacting the webmaster and requesting a link trade in their resources or value-added section is a good way to generate additional targeted traffic to a website, and theirs. However, be sure to avoid linking to irrelevant websites or link farms as such are often considered spam links, and can hurt website optimization.
- Awards/Organizations/Certifications: Applying for awards and certifications are an excellent means of gaining recognition, building a reputation and generating additional traffic for a website or marketing campaign. Only apply after the website or ad campaign is complete and there are no longer any under construction pages should such awards or certifications be applied for. As well professional organizations like the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or Angie's List can help generate business.
- Advertise: One of the biggest mistakes businesses make is to fail to advertise the website address on the company's marketing collateral. The website address to the company should be on ALL the marketing materials, letterhead, business cards, and all other advertising mediums including social media pages, etc.
By utilizing the above promotion methods, one can easily begin to generate new visitors, and (pending the website is setup to engage visitors) turn the new visitors into paying customers and clients!
Newsletter Archive Topics
- Design & Development
- General Information
- Marketing, General
- Online Security
- Organic / Natural SEO
- Search Engine Marketing
- Website Conversion
- Website Technologies
Newsletter Article Ideas?
We want to hear about it! Our newsletter is geared towards you so email your article ideas or questions to email@example.com.
Newsletter Subscription Status
1. A place, or territory, on the internet; a developed piece of internet real estate; a website application. 2. An interactive advertising business solutions company.